PROTECTING OUR CIVIL RIGHTS
At a time when our civil rights are under attack by a conservative government and Donald Trump, we must ALL stand united ready to resist and to fight back against any form of oppression, bigotry, xenophobia, sexism, or racism. We must realize that our strengths and what makes America great is our diversity, our culture, and our differences. To be able to be the most diverse country on Earth is why we are the wealthiest and most industrialized nation on earth. We must treat each other with respect, compassion, and with dignity regardless of the color of one's skin, their gender identity, who they love, or what faith someone practices. We cannot go back towards the days of segregation and a life based on fear, we must only move forward.
- Black Lives Matter: We must recognize that there is a problem in America that has stemmed from the roots of slavery which has played an effect on the social conditioning of society today. Our system in America has failed the African American community. African Americans are disproportionately incarcerated, unemployed, homeless, lack quality education, live near unsafe environmental conditions, face tougher prison sentences, and more likely to be killed by police compared to other racial groups except Native Americans. We will work to overthrow the current system that has failed African Americans and people of color so that they have the same chances to succeed as everyone else should.
- Latinx Justice: African Americans and Latinx make up half of the total prisoners in America even though they represent only a quarter of the entire population. Like the African American community, the system has also failed them as well as they too face a disproportion of incarceration, unemployment, lack of quality education, imminent threats of deportation, and live near unsafe environmental conditions.
- As discussed we must combat a system of wealth and income inequality that has had a profound effect on the African American and Latinx community. We must provide quality public education and healthcare as a right, a living wage, affordable housing, and more opportunities for work.
- We must reform our criminal justice system that disproportionately targets African Americans and Latinx, leaving them incarcerated or killed at the hands of police. In addition, we will work to ensure that African Americans do not receive tougher sentencing than white people with the same history.
- We will stop racial discrimination in education against students, including punishments for behavior or preferential treatment based on race. We will also ensure quality public education as a right for all races.
- We push for the Voting Rights Advancement Act, which would strengthen voting rights by expanding and strengthening the government's ability to respond to voting discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual preference, or membership in a language minority group.
- We will work to pass the Safe Schools Improvement Act, which would amend the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) to require school districts in state that receive ESEA funds to adopt codes of conduct specifically prohibiting bullying and harassment, including on the bases of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, gender identify, and religion
- Equal pay: WE will work with Congress to come up with a way to ensure that there is equal pay regardless of gender or race. If people are working the same position with the same amount of skill and job experience, they should be paid the same. Women of Color are actually paid even less compared to white males. We will support legislation like the Paycheck Fairness Act to stop gender wage discrimination. Also, we will work to raise the federal minimum wage to $15.
- Right to choose / Pro-Choice: We will work to protect a woman’s reproductive rights and their right to choose what she decides to do with her body. We will provide safe and legal to access to social services, medicine, and abortion, such as protecting Planned Parenthood.
- We will provide quality child care as a right, including more Head Start programs and universal pre-k for working and newly mothers. Mother’s deserve all the necessary help in the beginning phases of their children’s lives. While they are working to make a living for her family, they must also have help in raising her child to be the best they can be.
- We will work to pass legislation that provides 12 weeks of guaranteed paid family and medical leave.
- We will work to ensure that the future of this nation considers the rights of the LGBTQ community and any other marginalized community as HUMAN Rights.
- We will work to cosponsor and pass the Equality Act, which would add protections for sexual orientation and gender identity to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Equality Act would prohibit worker, education, segregation, and public services discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes.
- We will work to pass the Respect for Marriage Act (RMA), which would repeal the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) and guarantee that the federal government will respect legal marriages of same-sex couples and provide them with federal spousal rights and protection.
- We will work to pass the Social Security and Marriage Equality (SAME) Act which would amend the federal code to ensure all lawfully married same-sex couples will receive Social Security spousal benefits, regardless of where they live.
- We will work to pass the Stop Harming Our Kids Act that would encourage states to prohibit licensed counselors and therapists from engaging in dangerous practices to try to change the sexual orientation or gender expression of LGBT minors, known as “conversion therapy,” “reparative therapy,” “ex-gay therapy,” or “sexual orientation change effort?”
- We will pass a single payer Medicare for ALL system that would cover HIV/AIDS screenings & treatment and medically necessary sex reassignment surgeries and treatments for insured individuals diagnosed by a physician with Gender Identity Disorder or Gender Dysphoria.
- We will work to ensure that all treaties are honored and respected by the United States government and the companies that try to build on and extract resources from sacred lands. In addition, we must empower tribal sovereignty in order for tribes to protect and restore their sacred lands. We must also ensure that with tribal sovereignty that tribes can carry out their own prosecution and have jurisdiction over crimes or actions taking place on tribal lands.
- We will work to ensure that Native Americans have the opportunity to equal access to safety, education, healthcare, and affordable housing as currently wealth and income inequality hits hardest for Native Americans. 1 out of 4 Native Americans live in poverty with a high school graduation rate of 67%, a lack of adequate healthcare and housing, poor infrastructure, and the highest risk of killing by police compared to other racial groups. As part of our platform we are fighting for criminal justice reform, universal healthcare, public education as a right, a Green New Deal, and housing as a right as well.
- We are also in solidarity with our indigenous sisters and brothers facing threats of pipelines being built on their land. We are proud that the Green Party, unlike the Democratic Party and Republican Party, have openly stood against the Dakota Access Pipeline and any other forms of injustice happening to Mother Earth. If the Green Party gets more elected officials in office, we can make protections of the indigenous peoples and Mother Earth more of a reality through policy than those running our government right now.
- We will work to ensure that there is a separation between church and state and that public law should be independent of anyone’s religion.
- We will prohibit job discrimination based on your religion or what faith you practice.
- We will protect the freedom to express your religious faith or non-religious faith as upheld by the Free Exercise Clause in the First Amendment.
- We will oppose any legislation that indiscriminately targets people from a certain religion to enter the country such as Donald Trump's travel ban that affects predominantly Muslim countries.